Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Topic Worth Writing In For

After subscribing to Game Informer for a few years now there hasn't been a topic I felt strong enough to voice my opinion on until now. Sadly it's not an article or a game feature, but someone instigating a debate on the Wii, it's hardcore games and the whiney SOB's that claim they are hardcore gamers. Hey! I'm a whiney SOB claiming to be a hardcore gamer, so I had to jump on my soapbox and write in. Here's how it went down.

Dear GI:

Hardcore Negligence
In the reader art section of issue 195, there was a picture of Jack from the under appreciated MadWorld. I'm one of the few who bought the game - it makes me wonder about gamers who cry on internet forums about Nintendo failing its hardcore audience on the Wii. I'm starting to think the opposite is true: the hardcore audience has failed Nintendo. Why didn't you buy MadWorld, House of the Dead, Okami and No more Heros? All of those titles should have sold more copies. If you call yourself hardcore, why aren't you buying the games made for you?

Patrick Borrelli
Via Email

Hardcore Wii owners, Patrick is calling you out. What do you have to say in your defense? Have hardcore gamers let Nintendo down? Drop us a line and share your thoughts.


My Response:

Growing up with video games and owning consoles from Sony, Sega, and Nintendo had me in a bit of a quarrel as to what system to buy this generation. I ended up going with the Nintendo Wii back when it was still almost impossible to get one and the games were very much lacking. But it's innovated idea on gameplay and having a new Zelda game to boot had me wanting one. But after 2 years of owning one, I as a hardcore gamer who also likes "casual" games, was missing many of the hardcore games that were released for the PS3 and the 360. So I went out and bought a PS3 a few months ago. I now don't have the feeling of missing out on good hardcore games because they won't come to the Wii for one reason or another. That way I can still play games like Zelda and Mario Kart, but still not miss out on games like Resident Evil 5 and Prototype. In issue 196, Patrick brought up a few good games for hardcore gamers that came out for the Wii and asked why people weren't buying them. But just because you are a hardcore gamer doesn't mean that we all like the same type of hardcore games. I did, however, pick up Okami, but went with the ps2 version instead. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy my Wii and pick up a new game for it when it appeals to me, but overall Nintendo seems to have targeted the Wii more towards the "casual" gamer. For me being a multi-console gamer is the only way to go.


Will I show up in a future issue of Game Informer? Only one way to find out. In the mean time I would like to continue this discussion here. Tell me your thoughts on Patrick's and my responses to this issue. What are your feelings on the Wii/Hardcore Gamer relationship? I love a good debate.

EDIT: I have added a poll listing hardcore games for the 3 major consoles with the appearance of the ps2 and the gamecube because the games where just to good to leave off and some are expecting sequels in the future. Also if I left out your favorite hardcore game I'm sorry. I have also only listed the latest in a series, not what I think is the best. I had to end the list somewhere. But since this is a poll about Nintendo leaving hardcore gamers out with their current console I thought that current games on current consoles should be looked at. Please take the poll seriously. I want to see hardcore gamers opinions on what good hardcore games are out there and what systems have the best hardcore games. This study will help with the discussion. Please feel free to choose more than one option since being a hardcore gamer means you play more than just 1 or 2 games.

13 comments:

  1. I hope you show up in that issue. I would have to buy it, lol. BUt I agree that Nintendo is very disappointing in the games department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Nintendo's games seem to appeal not just to the casual gamer, but also to the young gamer. I mean seriously Imagine Babyz! Come on! What adult wants to play that!? They have so many games that appeal to kids ages 6-11 but very few that adults would want to play as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to go out and buy a second copy to frame it lol.

    But seriously Robby brings up a good point about Nintendo having way too many games for 6-11 year olds. Don't get me wrong. Young kids like to play videogames as well and if their parents follow the ESRB labels, kids are gonna want a lot of choices on games just like we do. And some kids are into Imagine Babyz, whatever that is, so it's good to have a bunch of different types of games for every type of person. But what about the choices for hardcore gamers? Nintendo just doesn't deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its why I moved on for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And why I got a PS3. But don't get me wrong. I will still probably pick up Mario Galaxy 2, The new Zelda game, and the New Super Mario Wii and I still play Mario Kart Wii and all my music games (Rock Band 2, GH3 and GHWT). So it will still get use out of me. As I said multi-concole gaming is the only way to go for me. There isn't one system that satisfies the needs of a well rounded gamer.

    But then that makes me think of the definition of what it means to be a Hardcore Gamer. Does a hardcore gamer just have to be into the more adult games, such as those rated Teen and Mature? Like Kero told me a hardcore gamer means that you are into a bunch of different types of games and that you just enjoy playing games. That could be another discussion topic all on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, hardcore gamers in truth are the most well rounded of all the gamers. The ones who are into more genres then others. What everyone usually tends to think are "hardcore" gamers are the ones that only play violent games. Which is in fact not true at all. They're just a different demographic.

    I'm pretty much on the point of completely abandoning Nintendo as a consumer since they don't really cater to my tastes anymore. I've been doing fine with my PS3, which already has a wide range of titles for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been buying many Wii games of late. The last one I bought was rockband 2 used and 10% off because of my edge card. And I only got it for the Wii because I have all these Guitar Hero instruments for the wii that work with it. If I had my ps3 though when GH3 came out I would've gotten it for that.

    But I'm not ready to completely abandon Nintendo yet. Like I said there are some future games coming out for it that I will gladly pick up new at full price. But PS3 has more games coming out that I want and are interested in. Plus I can still go back and buy all these PS2 games that I missed out on because I have a backwards compatible PS3. Which the lack of it in the new PS3s in a whole other issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even know if new Nintendo games will save them from becoming completely casual. We already know they're implementing something that plays the game for you, and I'm not too happy about that. Its basically a kick in the nuts to people who can't already complete an already easy game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya that will be one secret gamers keep in their closet.

    I think the Wii will always primarily be casual. I am still expecting some of the games I listed to be good and I hope not to be disappointed, especially with the new Zelda. But being primarily causal or even having casual games it not necessarily a bad thing. It's the amount of crappy casual games that are out there. Third Party game developers need to spend more time on making a good game instead of a fast buck.

    It would be nice to see more hardcore games for the wii and hardcore doesn't even have to mean rated M or a shooter like game. Good Zelda and Mario games can be too. That's why I'm looking forward to those games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't bank on Nintendo getting more hardcore anymore. Hardcore pretty much died when they patented the CPU plays the game for you crap they're trying to pull.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But Zelda and Mario... I can't turn my back on them!

    It's hard not like those types of games when you grow up playing them. I've had every nintendo system since the SNES, and before I had that, whenever I visited my cousins' house I would play Nintendo. Since my mom got us the Sega Genesis instead. That's before we became a multi-console household. We had the SNES, N64 and Playstation all at the same time, and then we started going into me and my brother getting our own systems. Well technically I got the SNES for Christmas one year, and then later we got the PSX and then my Brother got the N64 and then I got one.

    And I'm getting side tracked like I always do. What can I say I'm passionate about gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They were fine back in the day when gaming was still a niche market. But now, its just going down the drain for me. I'm passionate about gaming too, but when they simplify it so much that it becomes unplayable, thats just a no go for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say what is the point of playing a game if you are just going to skip over the harder parts. How much fun can it really be? I know Nintendo is trying to get a wider market with going causal. So placing a feature like this in a game to attract more people might work. But then it can also put people off as well. As in your case.

    But if the game looks good to me and like something I can enjoy and it doesn't have to affect gameplay if I don't use it, then I probably will pick up the game anyways. But it does make me sad to see that gaming could possibly be heading in this direction.

    I just hope that PS3 and XBOX don't decide to try this. You would think if they did that they would have to disable trophies and achievements if you do use it. Earning a trophy for watching the game play itself and then claim you earned it is just wrong.

    Maybe for the casual audience they wouldn't mind using this feature because they don't have the time to master skills and finish games the way they were intended to be played. But I couldn't imagine telling people that I played and finished Zelda: Ocarina of Time if I used the feature. I would feel ashamed lol.

    When a game is used for a party use, then obviously you aren't going to put in the effort to master skills and become good at it. So for games like Mario Party and Wii Bowling you are playing the game to hang out with friends and escape boredom. Even Singstar could fall under this category. Even though I play by myself as well as with friends. I may be a geek, but I also use it to help me hone my skills with my voice. But that is another matter completely.

    But some people see gaming as a hobby. You play for fun and to relieve boredom yes, but you also do it to get better at it. That is what would piss most gamers off. You wouldn't say you are a knitter and then have a machine just jump in and start knitting the sleeves for you because it's too hard. It would take all the pride and love out of your finished product. Even a casual knitter would see that process as stupid. If that was the case then you would just buy a sweater. So why can't people see why this feature is a sore spot for hardcore gamers.

    ReplyDelete