Monday, March 22, 2010

A Merge of Interests

As of today this will no longer be a blog for video games and like stories. I'm throwing Anime into the mix. Not much similarities there unless this was a Japanese Blogging Site, but it's not. I'm just merging two of my interests together.

I have been a fan of Anime for some time now, but recently gotten into the scene and culture around it. Also with the extra cash from working and no longer being in school has really helped me beef out my collection. I'm no where near Otaku status, but my interests in it has definitely strengthened.

So let me get right into it. The first discussion on my mind is a very popular one in the Anime community: Dubs versus Subs. Which is better? For those who don't know a Dub is the voice acting. Where an anime is done in Japan, all the voice acting is in Japanese, so to do an English Dub is to get English speaking voice actors. A sub is with the original voice acting and subtitles. This has recently come up on the NISA boards after they have decided to dive into the Anime buisness picking up 4 titles: Persona: Trinity Soul, Toradora, Pandora Hearts and Our Home’s Fox Deity. Since this is a new venture for them they don't have the cash right off to do English Dubs.

Personally I prefer dubs, but I also like having the original voice acting as an option. Why do I prefer dubs? Well here's my reasoning. The top most reason is my eyesight. I understand this isn't an issue for a lot of people out there, but reading all those subs really starts to hurt my eyes and can create headaches. I have bad vision as it is and its really tiresome to read all those subtitles.

Another thing is that all that reading really distracts you from the action. When i could be listening with my ears and watching the show, it ends up as me reading with a lot of pretty colors flashing by.

It's also nice to hear it in a language I can understand. That way I can listen to the meaning of the words more so then I can hearing it in another language. A lot of people might dispute this fact by saying that the English voice acting is usually done poorly, but I have not found that to be the case.

Now I'm not saying that if one day I learn Japanese and can understand it well enough to listen and comprehend what is going on, that I won't watch it in it's original form. I am no way discrediting original voice acting.

With that said, I will be doing a new review soon. If anyone still reads this, what would you guys like to see a review on? This can be game related as well.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta finish the game first. I'm only on chapter 5 out of 11? 13? I can't remember. But I will do an FF13 review when I finish it.

    ReplyDelete