Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lost In Blue Wii Review

With Nintendo's lack of releasing any really good games in the past few months aside from a couple, I was looking for a gem in the rough. I mean were are the Mario games? A new Zelda perhaps. I know these games take time, but I need something to feed my addiction. So I went to pick up "Lost In Blue". From what I saw it looked like it could be a fun game and for the $30 price tag I thought I would give it a shot.

After playing for only a few hours I don't feel like playing anymore. This may be an early trade in and a waste of my money. The beginning showed promise. You get lost on an island and have to build items and scavenge for food to survive. The first thing I noticed that there was too many cut scenes in the beginning. When I first get a game I want to play. A short cut scene is fine or you might be able to get away with a longer one if the graphics are good and/or you have a good storyline. The graphics here aren't anything special and the storyline is one that has been told a million times. Also a magor problem with watching the cut scenes is the dialog mixed in with the subtitles. There was a lot of subtitles and sometimes the characters would speak the lines. It was very annoying. What made it even more annoying was that the would only speak a short sentence out of the current subtitle on the screen.

The storyline is ok at best. As I mentioned it's been heard a million times before. The ship burns down and your character escapes on a life boat. But being curious like you are you go outside the life boat (this was one hi-tech life boat let me tell you) and fall off. You wash up onshore of a deserted island. You learn some of the basics on this island which is very small. You find no one and decide to make a makeshift raft out of a suitcase and some logs to sail to a nearby island. It doesn't take you very long to do so and you meet up with someone else from the boat. This person has now joined your party and you have to look after her as well.

After getting to this new island my character became sick after just one day. This disabled me from venturing too far and doing some of the mini games. A couple days later my party member became sick. I could not keep our hunger level above 20 out of 100 because they were too weak to stay out long enough to get sufficant amount of food and twigs to keep the fire going. Even in the beginning of the game it was hard for me too keep the hunger level up. They require a lot of food. To get the food you will either need to shake down trees, fish or dig it up. Fishing and digging become mini games. To fish you at least need a wood spear and later work your way up to a fishing pole and the likes. Using the wooden spear reminds me a lot of fishing in Amazon Trail if anyone remembers that game. Shadows of fish appear and you spear them. Once speared it shows you what you caught. Pretty much exactly like Amazon Trail, except the controls are much different. In Amazon Trail you just place your mouse over a moving fish and click your mouse at just the right moment. In Lost in Blue you cursor hovers around the middle with jerky movements and not a lot of control. It also times you just like Amazon Trail but you have a lot less time. But you can just go right back if you need more fish.

Digging in patches of dirt that is raised in a mound is also another mini game to gather food. You are also timed as you point your cursor around clicking the A button to dig around. You will find such items as different types of clams and worms. You will also find crabs and hermit crabs walking around for you to gather.

Once you have your food preparing it and cooking it brings you to another mini game. These mini games reminds me of Cooking Mama with cutting and flipping, but less fun since there is less variety. Does this game even have an origonal thought? From a boring overdone storyline, to mini games mimicaing other games before it, I don't think so.

The only thing that seems like a good idea is the animals each character has as a pet. Your character has a monkey and the other character has a dog. They help you out from time to time, but mainly they just add a cuteness factor to a cutesy cartoony style game.

Overall I give this game 2 out of 5 Stars for lack of origonality.

No comments:

Post a Comment